Food: We had an early dinner at Johnny Rockets, took advantage of a "free burger" coupon we've been saving. I'm so thankful to JR for including a veggie burger on the menu! It was a real treat for me, especially since I allowed myself a small serving of fries and a light beer. Yummy!
Fitness: No official exercise for me yesterday, but I burned a few calories with daily activity. Even though the scale isn't reflecting it, I must have lost weight/inches because both pairs of jeans I've worn recently are uncomfortably loose, to the point where I can slip them off without unzipping! I lose weight in my legs & waist first, making my clothes loose around the top and baggy at the back of my legs/butt, very weird. I don't think I'm able to go down a size yet so I'll have to suffer through this in-between saggy-butt stage for a while..grin..
Now, on to the recipe I promised, adapted from the Get Healthy, Go Vegan Cookbook.
Toasty Tortilla Soup
- 4 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes (I used Ro-tel for added spice)
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 medium yellow squash, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 15 ounces red kidney beans (drained & rinsed, if using canned)
- kosher or sea salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 corn tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- Heat ½ cup broth in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for 3 minutes. Add garlic and chili powder and cook for 2 minutes
- Add all remaining ingredients except tortillas and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 25 minutes
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350. Place tortilla strips on baking sheet and bake for 5-6 minutes until brown
- To serve: ladle soup into bowls and top with tortilla strips
Note: Instead of making my own tortilla chips, I used a handful of baked tortillas, crushed. The nutritional info below is for the original version.
Makes 4 1-cup servings
- Fat: 1.5g
- Protein: 10.3g
- Carbohydrate: 45.2g
- Sugar 10.7g
- Fiber 9.8g
- Sodium 1464mg
Well, I hear some chores and the treadmill calling my name, better get to it. Hope you're all having a lovely weekend so far!