When lunchtime rolled around, I scavenged the refrigerator and pantry for something fresh & different to prepare for myself. I came up with a little container of quinoa & a few vegetables. Hmm...taking a glance at my overgrown herb garden, I came up with an idea: Tabbouleh. After searching the 'net, I combined several different recipes to create my own healthy, low-fat version. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
Quinoa Tabbouleh Salad
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1-1/2 cups water
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumber (peeled, if desired)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons squeezed lemon or lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- pinch ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 2 medium scallions, chopped
- Rinse quinoa well. Bring water to boil in a small saucepan. Add pinch of salt and quinoa, reduce heat to low and cook until water is absorbed, about 12 minutes.
- Cover and let quinoa sit for about 5 minutes while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- When quinoa has reached room temperature, add remainder of ingredients, combine in a large salad bowl.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Serve and enjoy!
Makes approximately 6 1/2 cup servings
- Calories: 133.2
- Fat: 9.8g
- Carbohydrates: 9.8g
- Protein: 2.3g
Have a wonderful day!