So, as for dinner. I tweaked this recipe a tiny bit, came up with a delicious soup that was perfect for a lazy-feeling-kinda-sick Monday dinner. While preparing the soup, I baked two loaves of Beer Bread, shared one with my next door neighbor. She just reported that her husband has eaten half the loaf by himself, ha! I tell you all the time, I hate processed foods and limit them as much as possible, but this bread is so good and so easy, it's worth an occasional "cheat."
Slow Cooker Leek and Potato Soup
- 2 large leeks, washed, ends trimmed, thinly sliced
- 4 large russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 carrots, washed and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 to 6 cups vegetable broth, enough to cover the vegetables
- fresh parsley for garnish
- Place the leeks, potatoes, carrots, celery, and garlic in the slow cooker pot.
- Add in the vegetable broth, just to cover the vegetables.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours, or LOW for 6 hours.
- Puree the soup with either an immersion blender, or a food processor (in batches). For a chunkier soup, use a potato masher.
- Ladle the soup into bowls.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and shredded vegan cheese (optional, not included in nutrition analysis)
Nutrition Info (as calculated by Sparkpeople)
- Calories: 229.3
- Fat: 2.5g
- Carbohydrates: 46.6g
- Protein: 5.7g
The Verdict: Vegan Gypsy says: Super-yummy! I served mine plain, without the cheese, just a few sprigs of parsley and a twist of freshly-ground black pepper. I used the immersion blender to make the consistency smooth-ish; next time I'll try the potato masher for a chunkier texture.
Omni-Hunny says: It was good. (He's a man of few words)
Well, Loki's here begging for a little walk so I'm going to drag myself up & out. Hope everyone had a wonderful Monday!